- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Compasses and Coaches
We use the information you submit via the Vitality Compass, Vitality Coach, and True Happiness Compass in the following ways:
- To calculate your scores on each compass (e.g. life expectancy)
- Present you with Blue Zones recommendations and content related to your lifestyle
- Improve the design and composition of our web site and applications
- Develop new products internally at Blue Zones (e.g. new compasses and coaches)
- Develop editorial content of interest to our users
- Anonymized user data is used for academic research at Blue Zones partner institutions, including the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. These studies help us determine what lifestyle variables affect well-being. Researchers do not have access to any personally identifiable information and the studies do not reference individual users in any way.
Users can sign up for our email newsletters by checking the “Keep in Touch” box on the Compass Registration page, or by entering their email address in the Email Newsletter signup form on any BlueZones.com page. We use this email list in the following ways:
- To announce new Blue Zones content, research, books, programs, products or applications
- To announce new features on the web site, True Happiness Compass, Vitality Compass, or Vitality Coach.
- To solicit comments and suggestions from our users (e.g. What new question should we add to the True Happiness Compass?)
- To announce changes to the Terms of Service