Turn 1 Can of Beans into 27 Easy, Creative Meals
The best longevity supplement in the world is a simple cup of beans. Every culture has its own variety and method of preparation, and the longest-lived people in the world — from Japan to Costa Rica — eat about a cup per day. Beans are inexpensive, shelf-stable, and quick to prepare. Our recommendation: always have a can of beans in your pantry. That way you’ll have a healthy, fast meal at your fingertips if you’re in a pinch. Here are 13 creative ways to use a can of beans (and 27 delicious recipes!).
1. Add a can to a dairy-free soup to create a creamy, smooth texture without adding milk or cream. Plus, it increases the fiber and protein level of the meal.
2. Make dessert. Beans don’t have to be reserved for savory dishes. Sneak additional nutrients into your treats.
3. Blend into a pasta sauce.
4. Roast for easy snacking.
5. Blend into a smoothie. You’d be surprised that it doesn’t change the flavor, but adds a creamy factor similar to if you add banana or avocado.
6. Make salsa.
7. Bake chickpea bread.
8. Add them to homemade energy bites or granola bars.
9. Blend into salad dressing.
Oil Free Caesar Dressing
10. Create “no-cook” easy lunches.
11. Serve dessert hummus with fruit or crackers.
12. Use them in no-recipe recipes.
Drain a can of white beans and combine with olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Sauté quickly with spinach or tomatoes on a stovetop and serve over warm polenta. Top with crushed red pepper.
Quick and Easy Taco Salad: Make a fast version of Adventist haystacks by mixing chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped onion, black beans, and sweet corn kernels. Toss with olive oil, and salt and pepper. Then toss with tortilla chips and top with sliced avocado and scallions.