WHO WE ARE
BLUE ZONES is a lifestyle brand that designates products and services that are made and marketed consistent with our principles and that enable people to people live longer, better lives by improving their environment. Importantly, use of BLUE ZONES as a brand does NOT denote a particular geographic region or the geographic origin of the products and services that are marketed under the brand.
Blue Zones is the owner of numerous trademark registrations in jurisdictions around the world for trademarks comprised of or including the term BLUE ZONES for use with a wide variety of goods and services. These jurisdictions include the United States and the European Union, among many others.
We like to use “Blue Zones” to refer to our company (including our founder, Dan Buettner), we use Blue Zones or BLUE ZONES (all caps) to refer to our brand, and we use “blue zones” (all lowercase) to refer to regions designated by Dan’s research as blue zones.
YOU CAN HELP OUR BRAND LIVE LONGER AND BETTER
Sometimes you may plan to write about our brand, our products and services, and/or our longevity principles, or you may wish to refer to geographic regions around the world that we have designated as “blue zones” based on Dan’s research. Before doing so, we ask that you familiarize yourself with our general rules. These rules will protect our company’s brand and will make sure that people can easily recognize references to our brand.
General Dos – these uses are OKAY:
- For commercial uses, if the product, service, or ingredient of the product originates from a region that has been qualified as a blue zone, descriptive use of blue zones is likely okay, so long as the use does not suggest that the product or services is sponsored by or associated with Blue Zones, the BLUE ZONES brand, Dan Buettner, or our core longevity principles; and so long as the presentation complies with our rules, outlined below:
- Always display “blue zones” in all lowercase characters;
- Always display the term “blue zones” in the same font, size, and color as the surrounding body text;
- Only use “blue zones” to indicate that the product, service, or ingredient of the product originates from a region that has been designated as a blue zone; and
- Never use the term “blue zones” in a brand, slogan, or other similarly prominent capacity.
- References in a non-commercial, informational, or educational manner are also likely okay, so long as your use does not suggest any sponsorship by or affiliation with Blue Zones, our BLUE ZONES brand, Dan Buettner, or our core longevity principles; and so long as your use complies with our rules, outlined below:
The use of BLUE ZONES is solely for the purpose of accurately identifying or describing an authorized BLUE ZONES-branded product or service;
Blue Zones or BLUE ZONES must not be used in a misleading or disparaging manner;
You should use ® or TM when referring to BLUE ZONES-branded products and services; and
You should always capitalize the “B” and “Z” in Blue Zones (or present our brand in all capital letters) when referring to our company or to our BLUE ZONES-branded products and services.
General Don’ts – these uses are not okay:
- Blue Zones does not allow unlicensed third parties to use BLUE ZONES as a brand in connection with health and wellness-related products or services.
- Blue Zones does not allow third-parties to refer to its longevity principles in connection with the sale or promotion of products or services (even where the product is not branded with BLUE ZONES). This use confuses people into thinking that those products and services are sponsored by or affiliated with us, when that is not the case.
- Blue Zones does not allow third-parties to reference Dan Buettner’s publications, interviews, or likeness in connection with the sale or promotion of a product or service (even where the product or service is not branded with BLUE ZONES). This also creates the incorrect impression that those products and services comply with our principles or are sponsored by or affiliated with us, when that is not the case.
View our full Blue Zones Brand Book here.
Questions? Please send an email to email@example.com and we will try to get back to you!