Blue Zones Project
Executive Director – Full-Time
Mendocino County, Ukiah preferred
Blue Zones is working collaboratively with Adventist Health, a large faith-based health system in Northern California, to support the initiation of a community movement in all their Adventist Health communities. This effort involves business, government, universities, and non-profits joining to support an integrated approach to improve the well-being of the community. The healthy choice becomes the easy choice through permanent changes to the environment, policy, and new supporting social connections. Through this collaboration and movement, communities will naturally adopt healthy behaviors, their well-being improves – and they live longer, healthier, and more productive lives. As well-being improves, employers begin to experience lower health care cost trends and higher productivity, driving new economic development while making each community an even more desirable place to live, work, and play.
This position will be accountable for implementation of the Blue Zones Project® throughout multiple communities with a goal of driving community engagement and overall improvement in the communities’ well-being.
Note: Hiring for this position is contingent upon the community successfully progressing through an assessment phase, which will determine community readiness for a Blue Zones Project.
Must be able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment. Must have a growth mentality and the requisite nimble and agile approach to support a fast-growing business unit. Knowledge of and demonstrated belief in the Blue Zones principles required.
Adheres to the Adventist Health Mission, Vision and Values statements. Complies with behavioral standards, policies, procedures, and handbooks established by the organization and their respective ministries. Abides by the guiding principles of the Code of Conduct.
Experience and Education:
- 10 + years of experience as a leader in operations, community organizer and/or managing complex community initiatives or campaigns with diverse volunteer resources. A blend of for-profit and government or non-profit experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences, Political Science, Healthcare, Healthcare Administration or Business
required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in lieu of education also considered
Commensurate with experience
- Recruits a team of the Community staff that work with government, non-profits, employers, industry associations, schools, grocery stores, restaurants, faith-based organizations and health care providers to implement permanent changes to environment, policy, social networks, and programs that drive well-being improvement.
- Provide effective leadership for diverse staff and volunteers that creates an authentic Blue Zones Project culture and drives successful outcomes.
- Overall accountability for Community Blueprint development, execution, and achieving Blueprint goals and objectives.
- Create and maintain excellent relationships with sponsors and funding partners.
- Facilitates achievement of program and business goals by leveraging relationships with representatives of the government, non-profit organizations, civic groups and Businesses, as well as with senior leaders of Sponsor partners.
- Accountable for operations and financial success. Leads development of short and long-term strategy and business plans.
- Ensures marketing channels are fully utilized to publicize the Blue Zones Project and assist in business development efforts.
- Current resident of Mendocino County or recent resident with strong community knowledge and relationships and willing to re-locate
- Account Management – able to build and maintain relationship with Sponsor as well as across government, businesses, and non-profits.
- An effective leader and coach who can motivate teams to successfully achieve project goals and objectives.
- Strong operational skills.
- Good business judgment-possesses business insight, sensitive to industry shifts and business trends, actively identifies new areas of growth, ability to balances data-driven decisions with experience and execute the best decision.
- Ability to manage sponsor relationship while meeting overall business needs.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills as evidenced in articulate professional presentations to a group, establishes one-on-one rapport, writing detailed reports, and communicating via email and phone conversations.
- Able to communicate effectively as a project spokesperson with local media and with local/regional/national organizations.
- Results oriented-understands what results are important and focuses resources to achieve them.
- Adept at financial planning and successful budget management.
- Inspiring, influencing, collaborative, and responsible.
- Energized by Blue Zones Project Mission and embodies Blue Zones Project principles.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.